California Bicycle Coalition Safety Tips
Accidents can happen to any of us at any time. As a result, it is important for people to take appropriate steps to reduce their risk of injury in an accident. According to the California Bicycle Coalition, there are five basic bicycling skills that can significantly reduce the risk of being injured in a bicycle accident. These five skills are:
- Protection – wear a helmet and gloves to protect your head and your hands. Always make sure that your helmet fits properly and that it does not cause any obstruction in your field of vision.
- Respond to hazards – learn how to identify potential roadway hazards and know how to stop or turn quickly to avoid them.
- Positioning – understand how to position yourself on the road in a way that maximizes your visibility and allows you to avoid hazards.
- Cooperation – know and follow the rules of the road so that you do not cause accidents. Be aware that bicyclists have the same responsibilities and rights as motorists, and are expected to obey all traffic laws.
- Control your bicycle – learn to control and handle your bike in a way that allows you to avoid falling or colliding with another bicyclist, person, object, or vehicle. In addition, make sure that you bike is equipped with proper safety features and equipment.
Know What To Do When Bike Accidents Happens
Even under the best of conditions, bicycle accidents will still happen. Using a bike to commute can be a lot more pleasant and quicker than riding Muni, but it also involves a greater risk of injury. When bicyclists are involved in accidents with cars, the injuries are often serious. These injuries can range from broken bones to more serious injuries such as traumatic brain injury, which can result in long-term and costly medical complications. Most bike accidents are caused by driver negligence.
Recovering From Bicycle Accident Injuries
Injured riders can often receive significant compensation, including damages for medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering. Establishing legal liability in a bicycle accident case can be a complicated legal issue, so it is best for anyone who has been injured in a bicycle accident to retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible after the incident.
Contact a San Francisco Bicycle Attorney For a Free Consult
When they are caused by the negligence of another person, victims may be able to recover through a California personal injury lawsuit. The best way to determine whether you have a legal claim is to have the circumstances of your case reviewed by an experienced San Francisco personal injury attorney. Call Callaway & Wolf today to schedule a free initial consultation.