Trusted Truck Accident Attorneys Serving San Jose, CA
Truck accident cases can be challenging, hiring an efficient attorney can be advantageous.
Large commercial trucks are an integral part of the U.S. economy, transporting millions of tons of goods across state lines. However, as essential as this industry is, it also poses a danger to the millions of motorists on the road. According to data gathered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, between 2017 and 2018, there was an increase in the involvement rate of large trucks in fatal traffic accidents. In 2018, there were over 100,000 large trucks involved in traffic accidents that resulted in injury and close to 5,000 were involved in fatal accidents.
When a large commercial truck is involved in an accident that results in the injury of another person on the road, financial compensation may be available to the injured person. Filing a truck accident claim against the at-fault party can be difficult, as truck drivers and their insurance companies have two main priorities after an accident – avoid liability and pay the least amount possible. Due to the complexities and hard-fought nature of truck accident cases, it is essential to seek the legal representation of a qualified and trusted San Jose truck accident lawyer.
Over Two Decades Advocating For Justice On Behalf of Injured Victims
Truck drivers and their insurance companies are notorious for using ample resources to avoid responsibility for an accident to save money. These insurance companies are familiar with the rules and regulations applicable to the freight industry in the state, and they will use their expertise to their advantage to avoid accountability. For this reason, it is important to obtain proficient legal representation after a significant truck accident.
Callaway & Wolf have more than 30 years of experience advocating on behalf of those who have been injured as a result of another’s negligence. The law firm is well versed in truck accident cases and is aware of the tactics regularly used by truck drivers and their insurers to avoid paying what they owe. With a track record of success, the firm is prepared to take a case to court to ensure their clients receive the maximum amount of compensation available. To schedule a case evaluation, contact Callaway & Wolf right away.
Parties That Can Be Held Accountable After a Truck Accident
Traffic accidents involving large commercial trucks are different from accidents that only involve passenger vehicles. The freight industry and the operation of large commercial trucks involve a variety of parties, all of who can face responsibility after a traffic accident. As a result, a full investigation of a truck accident is necessary to ensure all responsible parties are held accountable for the victim’s injuries. By conducting a thorough investigation, evidence could indicate that one or more of the parties involved were responsible for causing the accident that led to the victim’s damages.
Parties that could be held accountable individually or together in a truck accident claim include the following:
- The Truck Operator – Truck drivers can cause accidents as a result of reckless behaviors, including, but not limited to:
- Driving while fatigued,
- Distracted driving,
- Driving while intoxicated,
- Engaging in road rage, or
- The Carrier – Trucking companies are responsible for the truck drivers and the trucks their drivers operate. They are responsible for hiring licensed drivers and training these drivers. Trucking companies must also abide by the rules and regulations established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, as this agency can sanction companies which are not up to standard.
- Cargo Loading Company – Some trucking companies are hired by other companies to ship their cargo. Trucking companies can sometimes transport sealed cargo, and when an accident is caused as a result of shifting cargo, the cargo company will be held accountable for the damages caused the accident.
- Vehicle Part Makers or Truck Designers – Truck accidents can happen for many reasons, and they sometimes occur as a result of a defective truck part. This can include:
- Brake failures,
- Tire blowouts, or
- Defective steering or coupling systems
Some truck accidents can also be caused when the entire design of the truck is flawed. In these situations, the vehicle maker or parts manufacturer can be held responsible for the accident.
- Maintenance Companies – Every large commercial truck must be maintained regularly. When a traffic accident is caused by the failure to inspect, repair, or replace a truck part, the company or party responsible for maintaining the truck will be held responsible for the accident.
Truck parts that should be regularly inspected include:
- Brakes and brake lamps,
- Coupling devices,
- Exhaust system,
- Steering mechanism,
- Stop lamps,
- Trailer bodies,
- Turn signals,
- Wheels, rims, and hubcaps, and
- Windshield wipers
Contact an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney
Truck accident victims should never accept an unfair low settlement offer from truck drivers or their insurance carriers. Big rig & tractor trailer accident cases are undeniably complex, but when an accident occurs, you need someone who will fight for a fair result. After a truck accident, consult a qualified and experienced attorney to represent you.
Callaway & Wolf has the legal resources needed to handle complex truck accident cases, and we are prepared to bring strong claims against all liable parties. When injured in a truck accident, obtaining the support of an experienced truck accident lawyer serving San Jose can make a difference. Consider scheduling a free initial consultation with Callaway & Wolf today.